It was a celebration of 40 years spent helping Langley Memorial Hospital, at Penny Pincher thrift store’s anniversary on Saturday.
Langley Memorial Hospital Auxiliary volunteers wearing their blue aprons were on hand to cut cake while shoppers were there to celebrate and get special deals.
Run completely by auxiliary volunteers, Penny Pincher is always bustling with people searching for a bargain or a new treasure.
Penny Pincher is on Langley’s one-way section of Fraser Highway, and offers deals on everything from coffee makers to clothing and books, with 100 per cent of revenue going to Langley Memorial Hospital, to pay for equipment and programs.
The thrift shop is located at 20560 Fraser Hwy and is open Monday to Saturday, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Penny Pincher’s history of success dates back to its infancy.
In fact, in 1977, its first year of operation at its original location in Sundel Square (and later after it moved to Acadia Street), the thrift shop earned a far better profit than expected — $12,999.05, all earmarked for the hospital.
Penny Pincher is not only a place for shopping, it’s also connects the community with auxiliary volunteers, many of whom have been involved with the group for many years.
President Diane Thornton has been with the auxiliary for 11 years; committee member Linda Steier for 17; past president Christine O’Sullivan for 16; and first vice-president Thelma Boileau for 17.
Penny Pincher has changed locations a few times, from its spot across from Sundel Square, to Logan Avenue, to 56 Avenue, to its current home in the former Coast Capital building on Fraser Highway.
The success of Penny Pincher has helped the auxiliary donate upwards of $300,000 each year to the hospital. In 2014, they donated $430,000.
— Files from The Hospital on the Hill, A History of Langley Memorial Hospital 1948-1998