Freezing cold hampers firefighting efforts
A house fire on Wednesday morning in Fernridge caused about $150,000 damage.
Township assistant fire chief Bruce Ferguson said the fire call came in at about 4 a.m. to a home at 2208 208 St. The home was occupied by a family of four, who were able to get out safely.
The fire burned through the roof, but fire crews were able to stop it at that point. Ferguson said investigators were on scene Wednesday morning to pinpoint the cause, but they suspect a chimney fire.
Fire crews from Brookswood, Murrayville and Willoughby fire halls attended the fire. Fighting the fire was more difficult due to frozen hoses and breathing gear, caused by the extremely cold weather.
Ferguson said the probable cause is a good reminder to people using wood appliances to ensure that their chimneys are kept clean.