- 2015 Federal Election
Updated: Langley seven-year-old may have overdosed on 'club drug'
The Ministry of Children and Families is involved and Langley RCMP’s serious crimes officers are investigating after a seven-year-old girl was rushed to hospital unconscious from a suspected drug overdose on Saturday night.
The girl’s mom phoned 911 around 8:20 p.m. after her daughter was unresponsive. The police investigation reveals that the girl innocently drank from what she thought was a water bottle containing only water.
Her mother told emergency responders that her daughter may have drank water containing the “rave” drug GHB, said police. The child was taken to Surrey Memorial Hospital, where she remains under observation. Doctors said she will make a full recovery.
In the meantime, police confirm there were a number of people in the townhouse in the 5500 block of 209 Street at the time, including another younger child and several adults.
“We are currently conducting interviews of those people,” said Langley RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Holly Marks. She couldn’t confirm media reports that the water bottle allegedly containing GHB was owned by the mom’s 42-year-old boyfriend.
GHB (Gamma – Hydroxybutyric Acid) has different components than ecstasy, but does go by the name “Liquid Ecstasy.”
It is also referred to as one of two date rape drugs. The other is Rohypnol.
Toxicology results weren’t available by press time, so it hasn’t been confirmed that the girl ingested GHB, said police.
Serious Crimes will determine if criminal charges are warranted in this case.
Those charges could range from criminal negligence causing harm to possession of a controlled substance.