Murrayville heritage house gets restoration surgery
A house that was part of the Edwardian-era expansion of Murray’s Corners is undergoing a major renovation and transformation into a medical clinic.
The Roderick Cummings house was built at 21561 Old Yale Road approximately 97 years ago. Situated on a 1.3 acre lot, the residence contributed to the early life and development of the Murrayville community. Several major alterations have been made over the years. The front porch was enclosed and additions built on three sides of the house.
In September, 2011, these additions and the north side of the house were destroyed by fire. Smoke and water damage destroyed considerable loss to the original exterior materials.
Renovations currently under way are intended to return the house to its original appearance, and will include restoring the front porch and replacing windows and doors.
According to a report to council, the restoration process is being guided by the surviving structural and design elements, and archival photos of the house.
The Roderick Cummings house is owned by Bump Holdings, whose owners stated in their application: “We feel that this heritage project will provide the missing heritage focus on the northwest location of Murrayville Five Corners.”
The owners said that is would be “wonderful to have the area restored and be a visible historic focus for the community.”
The owners added that there is no financial advantage to them in the restoration of this heritage building.
“Despite this, we remain committed to this project as we believe that it is an important part of the history and appearance of the Murrayville Five Corners area,” they wrote.
Nearby buildings include Sharon United Church.
The 1889 Wooden sanctuary, attached to a larger and newer sanctuary, was given Heritage Revitalization Agreement protection in 2002.
Across the roundabout lie Porter’s General Store, and The Travellers Hotel (now the Princess and the Pea bed and breakfast).
Other heritage buildings in the vicinity are the Mathews Cash Grocery (Bishop House) and the Archibald McCrimmon Residence.