News

Attempt to chase away raccoons proves costly

 

A Walnut Grove family has been left temporarily without a home after an attempt to smoke out raccoons went awry.

Township fire department spokesman Bruce Ferguson said that at about 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, a homeowner in the 9000 block of 207A Street lit a fire outside his home, hoping to smoke out raccoons that had taken up residence in a hollow pillar.

The fire spread, travelled up the pillar into the attic where it caused significant damage to the roof which will now have to be replaced.

Damage is estimated at between $100,000 and $150,000, Ferguson said.

"The house can't be lived in, but it is rebuildable," he added.

The man, his wife, at least one child and a pet all escaped unharmed.

There was no sign of the raccoons.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Surgical waits average five months in B.C.
 
How to donate to Christmas in Williams Park
 
City recognized once again for Brownfield redevelopment strategy
Seven seniors flu clinics reinstated
 
Fire at Surrey home claims cat
 
Cloverdale Calendar: pet pictures with Santa, Christmas craft sales, vintage furniture and more
New council regime takes over Monday
 
B.C. Federation of Labour votes to back transit referendum
 
Two charged in Surrey stolen-vehicle incident that drew police fire

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 27 edition online now. Browse the archives.