News

Cigarette starts apartment fire

A cigarette that was stubbed out in a balcony flower planter smouldered before igniting shortly before dawn on Thursday (Aug. 9).

The planter was on the third floor balcony of an older apartment building in the 5300 block of 207 St.

Langley City fire chief Rory Thompson said that the growing medium, either peat moss or potting soil, would have allowed the cigarette to smoulder for three or four hours before it ignited the material.

The fire, which was discovered at 4:15 a.m., caused $5,000 damage, and was confined to the balcony area. No one was injured.

Eighteen firefighters responded to the fire which triggered the building’s smoke alarms.

This is the third fire involving improperly discarded cigarettes to which City firefighters have responded this year, Thompson said.

“Use a proper ashtray,” Thompson urged smokers.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

B.C. Federation of Labour votes to back transit referendum
 
Taekwando student helps two in distress, while her computers and university course work stolen
 
Doris Blair passes away at 95
Amrik Virk advised Kwantlen on secret executive bonus
 
UPDATE: Vancouver-area man victim of hit and run in Mission
 
Police say attack near library was targeted
Life on both sides of the protest line settles into routine
 
MP Stewart to introduce Affordable Housing Strategy
 
ELECTION 2014: Malcolm Brodie won all polls, councillors split

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 25 edition online now. Browse the archives.