News

Fire department urges smokers to butt out safely

Another fire on an apartment balcony has prompted a safety reminder for smokers to not butt out in planters.

Langley City deputy fire chief Bob Scott said firefighters were called by a neighbour about a balcony fire at the apartments in the 5400 block of 201A Street on Friday.

A neighbour had spotted the blaze and used a garden hose to keep the flames in check until firefighters arrived, said Scott.

“It appears someone put out a cigarette in the peat moss of a plastic planter which was up against the wall,” said Scott.

The quick action of the neighbour helped keep the fire from spreading. Scott said the City fire department has put out several balcony fires this summer that were started by smokers butting out in peat moss.

“We are seeing a rise of balcony fires started in planters. The problem with peat moss is the cigarette can sit and smolder for sometime and go undetected before it erupts into a full out fire,” he said.

The best ashtray is to extinguish a cigarette under water, Scott said.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

World Cup of Hockey returns in 2016
 
Mine inspections beefed up in B.C.
 
Dolly Parton’s parcel off to Tennessee
Grade 9 Lakers rack up wins
 
LEAPING MUSTANG
 
Vee explodes from slump
Mom on trial accused of killing 5-year-old with salt
 
The Globe and Mail profiles Nelson
 
Michigan Tech locks up Williamson

Community Events, January 2015

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jan 27 edition online now. Browse the archives.