News

Luring accusation was false

Langley RCMP say that two 11-year-old boys who accused a man of trying to lure them into his SUV along 200 Street on Jan. 15, have admitted they were lying.

“The complaint was false,” said Cpl. Holly Marks.

The boys have written letters of apology to the man and will face some form of restorative justice for their actions, Marks continued.

Last week, police released a composite sketch of the man and asked the public to be on the lookout for him. After police released the sketch of the suspect to numerous media outlets, the “suspect” came forward to police. He told police he recognized himself in the sketch and came forward. In fact, he was a victim of the two boys’ prank. The boys had played “Nicky Nicky Nine Doors,” a game of knocking on doors and running away, at this man’s house.

After this information, the boys were called back to the detachment and they admitted they made the story up.

False claims like this have dangerous effects, taking up police time, desensitizing the public and causing potential char acter damage to the wrongly accused, said Marks.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, July 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 24 edition online now. Browse the archives.