Milner cairn to be unveiled on Feb. 21
To mark the 125th anniversary of Milner Church, a cairn has been built at the site which the church occupied for more than 100 years.
In 2006, the church was moved two blocks away from the intersection of 216 Street/64 Avenue and Glover Road, settling in as a non-denominational wedding chapel two blocks away on 64 Avenue.
In 2011, Township council approved building an $80,000 commemorative cairn. It has been erected and, with a bench and landscaping, stands at the northeast corner of the intersection. The cairn will be sheltered by a maple tree that was planted to commemorate the Langley men who died in the First World War.
The cairn interprets and celebrates the history of Milner by developing the original site of the church for public use. It includes a bench and landscaping.
The location of the cairn takes into account improvements which will eventually be made to the intersection. Built on property donated by James Johnston, the Milner church was originally known as the Langley Prairie Methodist Church. It was formally opened in 1886 by Rev. Ebenezer Robson.
Twenty-five years later, the name of the church was changed to Milner Methodist. In 1925, the congregation joined the new formed United Church of Canada, at which time a hall and kitchen were added.
The church was officially designated a heritage site in 1983.
There will be an official ribbon cutting and plaque unveiling on Thursday, Feb. 21 at 1 p.m. followed by refreshments in the church hall.