- 2015 Federal Election
Story of August sex assault was fabricated, say police
A 19-year-old woman who reported being raped at knifepoint by a goggle-wearing man in Douglas Park last August has recanted her story, said police.
“She said she made it up to get attention,” said Langley RCMP Cpl. Holly Marks.
She recanted last week to investigators.
Her account of being raped sent the community into a panic, as it was the second reported sexual assault in two months. Oddly, the sketch of both attackers had a remarkable likeness, so much so police believed they were dealing with a a serial attacker.
Massive police resources were used in the search for the alleged rapist, including calling in specialized profilers. An entire team was dedicated to following up the more than 100 tips.
“Public mischief charges are being considered against the woman,” said Marks.
The first sexual assault on June 22, 2013, against a 16-year-old girl in Brookswood, is still an active investigation, said Marks.
On that evening, a 16-year-old girl was waiting at a bus stop at 204 Street and 42 Avenue when she was forced into a newer model silver hatchback by a bearded man.
He drove her to the parking lot of Christian Life Assembly where he sexually assaulted her at knife point.
He then drove her to the Langley bus loop and dropped her off.
The victim provided a description of her attacker and police released a sketch of the suspect two weeks after the assault.
Then on Aug. 20, around 8 p.m., a 19-year-old woman said she was walking in the 20600 block of 51B Avenue when she was attacked from behind, pushed to the ground and raped.
She said she was threatened with a knife and he told her not to scream.
The suspect wore swimming goggles, she said.
After the assault, he took her purse and iPod before fleeing on a bicycle, she claimed.
To add to the mystery of this case, later that summer, a passerby dropped off the woman’s purse to the neighbouring Community Police Office.
Based on the victim’s description of her attacker and how strikingly similar it was to the sketch in the June attack, RCMP believed the same man was responsible.