News

French fry fire sends two to hospital in Langley

Things got a bit crispy for a pair of people cooking some French fries on a stovetop in a home in Glen Valley on Tuesday.

Just after 3 p.m., Township firefighters were called to a home in the 8200 block of 264 Street after a grease fire in the kitchen.

Two from the home were taken to hospital with minor burns and smoke inhalation but will be OK, said assistant fire chief Bruce Ferguson.

The flames were contained to the kitchen but there was around $30,000 worth of damage, he said.

French fry fires on the stovetop are common.

"What happens is you heat up the oil and when you put in the fries, the oil splashes out and catches fire," said Ferguson.

Never put water on a grease fire.

Dump baking soda, or plant dirt on the fire.

Cover the flames with another pot if safe to do so.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

B.C. teachers ponder tentative deal ahead of vote
 
Preliminary hearing for man accused of molesting boys
 
Gusher on 40 Avenue after SUV hits fire hydrant
City awaits report as it remembers bus crash
 
Dianne Watts on a new track, running for federal Conservative nomination
 
Mission woman hopes to win $10,000 renovation of ugly bathroom
Police investigate suspicious death at New Westminster recovery house
 
Hundreds want a piece of the old Paramount in Chilliwack
 
District picks consultant for Core Services Review

Community Events, September 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 16 edition online now. Browse the archives.