The Harrison Landing seniors residence in Langley City had to be briefly evacuated after a malfunctioning air conditioner triggered the fire alarm Monday morning.

Updated: Faulty air conditioner forces evacuation of Langley seniors residence

Fire department says unit triggered fire alarm at facility

A faulty HVAC (heating, ventilating/ventilation and air conditioning) unit triggered a fire alarm at a Langley seniors residence early Monday morning, forcing its evacuation.

The Langley City fire department said the three-storey Harrison Landing facility at 20899 Douglas Crescent was evacuated around 4:42 a.m. after the alarm went off.

Fire crews traced the problem to a malfunctioning rooftop HVAC that raised temperatures enough to trigger the alarm.

The fire department said there was no risk of fire from the mechanical failure.

No injuries were reported, but one male resident was transported to hospital with chest pains.

He was expected to make a full recovery.

The problem was traced to a faulty thermostat in the HVAC, which was repaired later that morning.