A Township firefighter inspects a vehicle parked in the driveway of a house on Winston Court Tuesday afternoon. A report of a possible hazardous materials incident drew two fire trucks and an ambulance. Dan Ferguson Langley Times

UPDATED: One sent to hospital because of gas leak from camper refrigerator (with video)

Township fire and ambulance respond to hazardous material report

One person was taken to hospital as a result of a Freon leak in a truck camper fridge in the 2100 block of Winston Court in Langley Tuesday afternoon.

Two Township fire trucks and one ambulance were called to the residential area at 10:44 a.m. after the refrigerator in the camper started leaking and at least one person experienced some respiratory distress.

One woman was transported to hospital by ambulance as a precautionary measure.

Her injuries were believed to be minor.

The camper was aired out until the gas dispersed.

The owner was expected to have an RV facility fix the fridge.

Hazardous Materials call in Langley on Winston Crescent #langleytimes #langleybc

A post shared by Langley Times Newspaper 📰 (@langleytimes) on

A fact sheet posted on the Environment, Health and Safety Online website said Freon, a registered trademark for a class of chemicals used in refrigeration known as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) can pose a hazard for people who have a history of heart problems because it can cause an irregular heartbeat and palpitations at very high concentrations.

Children and pets, especially dogs, are more like to suffer ill effects.

A Wikipedia entry describes CFCs as “colourless, volatile, toxic liquids and gases with a faintly sweet ethereal odour.”

Overexposure at concentrations of 11 per cent or more may cause dizziness, loss of concentration, central nervous system depression, and/or cardiac arrhythmia.

CFC vapours are heavier than air and can cause asphyxiation in confined spaces.

Newer refrigerators do not use CFCs, which were restricted by the international Montreal Protocol of August 1987, because they have been shown to be responsible for ozone depletion.

RELATED: Dozens of fridges damaged during wildfires from power outages

dan.ferguson@langleytimes.com

Just Posted

B.C. nurse offering helping hands to displaced in Bangledesh

Kalisse Barwich working with Samaritan’s Purse at a hospital that’s treating Rohingya refugees

Lightning down Knights to capture Valley banner

Langley Christian heading into provincial championships as Fraser Valley champs

Giving Tuesday taking Langley by storm

A new tradition, Giving Tuesday is a growing Canadian movement

Trial underway in marijuana ‘compassion club’ case

Bob Woolsey of Mission says police abused their power in 2015 investigation

Saints rally, march to another Valley banner

It was familiar circumstances for the Langley Secondary senior girls volleyball team

VIDEO: Rare comic showing Superman’s 1st appearance to be auctioned

The 1938 comic features Superman hoisting a car over his head

Methadone treatment not as effective for mentally ill, homeless: study

SFU study suggests unstable housing makes it hard to stick to treatment regimen

Christmas Craft Fair in Aldergrove

Santa and Mrs. Claus will visit this Friday and Saturday, Nov. 24 and 25

Aldergrove soccer action photos

Aldergrove U12 boys, Aldergrove U5/6 youths and Aldergrove’s U12 Avalanche girls

Wet weather expected for much of coastal B.C.

The Weather Network is calling for up to 200mm of rain to fall in some areas of the South Coast and Vancouver Island

B.C. reporter reflects on covering Charles Manson

Charles Manson, leader of a murderous cult, died on Sunday at 83

Port Mann, Golden Ears traffic up since tolls removed: report

City staff report says congestion woes easing on Pattullo Bridge as a result

Convicted child sex offender’s sixth lawyer resigns before sentencing

One time school board candidate Corey Neyrinck case delayed in BC Supreme Court yet again

ICBC overbilling for crash repairs not the problem, dealers say

Collision repair shops reject union claim of inflated costs

Most Read