Harold Morioka at age 46 running in Wakayama, Japan.

Surrey senior multiple world record holder

B.C. sprinter inducted into B.C. Athletics Hall of Fame

Surrey athlete Harold Morioka was born to run, although it took nearly 30 years for his world championship journey to begin.

Morioka was recently inducted into the B.C. Athletics Hall of Fame at a ceremony held Nov. 19, 2016 in Richmond. The honour recognizes his 40-plus years as a sprinter, mentor and coach. (Photo below).

For Morioka, 73, his running career began in the Slocan Valley in the Kootneys in south-central British Columbia.

Following the attacks on Pearl Harbour in 1941, the federal government enacted the War Measures Act and Morioka’s father was sent to live in an internment camp in the Slocan Valley with all boys and men of Japanese heritage, despite having lived in Surrey since 1924.

Eventually he was joined by his wife and three children, and Harold was born in 1943.

Memories of his time in Slocan and the treatment of his parents and siblings are topics he would prefer not to focus on.

By the time he was six years old, Morioka and his family were back in Surrey, living near 96 Avenue and King George Highway.

As an athletic kid in school, Morioka knew he could run, often pushing himself against his older brother, but school and work on the family farm occupied much of his time.

After graduation from high school in 1961, Morioka went on to university to become a high school biology teacher, however other than playing some intramural soccer and baseball as a youth, he didn’t participate in organized sports.

But when he turned 29 he noticed a story in a local newspaper about an upcoming track meet at Simon Fraser University and he wondered out loud if he had the speed to compete.

“My wife told me I was out of my mind,” he said laughing. “She told me all those young kids on track scholarships would kill me.”

But he knew he could run.

So after some minor issues with paperwork and having no official credentials or athletic numbers, Morioka received an amateur athletic card from B.C. Athletics and was allowed to compete in the 100m.

When he arrived at SFU on race day, he looked around and thought to himself he was in way over his head.

“I thought, ‘my wife is right, look at these guys. They look so fast… why did I enter?’ ”

But when the gun went off in his heat, despite wearing only runners instead of track spikes, instinct took over for the untrained sprinter and he finished in second place in 11 seconds.

Harold MoriokaHowever, because of his inexperience, after the race he just went home without checking his time or even looking to see if he had made the finals.

By the next season, at the age of 30, after beginning some basic sprint training over the winter, Morioka became the fastest man in B.C., winning the 100m and 200m in the open division at the B.C. Championship against all the best sprinters in the province.

By the age of 36 he decided to hang up his cleats, despite running under 11 seconds in the 100m and sub-50 seconds in the 400m.

“I thought I was too old to run, but B.C. Athletics still selected me for the Western Canada Games in Saskatoon,” he said.

By age 40, Morioka began to get the itch to run again, so he joined the masters circuit, and by 46 he was smashing world records.

In 1989 he won his first Masters World Championship in Eugene, Oregon in the 46- to 49-year-old age group, running the 400m in 50.60 seconds and he broke the world record in the 100m in the same age group with a time of 11.11 seconds.

That same year he won the SportBC Athlete of the year award, against all other athletes in BC, the first and only time that a masters athlete has ever won that title.

His most successful year as a Masters athlete was when he turned 50, setting three worlds records in the indoor 60m, 200m and 400m races at the United States Nationals.

Later that year he won three gold medals at the Masters World Championships in Miyazaki, Japan in the 400m, 800m and 400m hurdles.

And at age 51, became the oldest person ever to match their age in the 400m, running the event in a time of 51 seconds.

Despite running with tremendous knee pain for many years, Morioka retired from competitive athletics at age 62.

He still volunteers as a coach for the Greyhounds Track Club.

Looking back on his long career on the track, Morioka feels his youth and upbringing were the keys to his success.

“You have to have some natural ability. We knew we were fast, my brother and I, but I was a hard worker, I trained so hard I knew it from my youth, you’re not going to be successful at anything unless you work hard all year round,” he said.

But as far as looking at the current group of Olympic sprinters and wondering what could have been if he had begun his career earlier in life, Morioka would prefer to not second-guess his decisions.

“Maybe if I had started out earlier, I may not have been so successful. I have no regrets.”

Numerous knee injuries have slowed him down over the years and the pain keeps him from competing, and going down stairs is a real problem, “but I can still run,” he said.

Just Posted

COLUMN: Technology gives me hope my father will walk again

Lokomat taught Michael Coss to walk again after brain injury – and you could help bring it to Surrey

Decision to opt out of Operation Red Nose made last spring, says Langley Gymnastics

ORN drivers in neighbouring communities will fill Langley/Surrey gaps as best they can

Curling competition cutting close ahead of BC Junior Curling Championships

Qualifiers for December’s championships come down to the decimal point

Theatre stuff from stolen trailer found strewn on Surrey roadside

‘It’s going to take a little while to go through it all and find out what’s ruined and what’s OK’

Golden time for Langley pair on the water

Langley women team up to win gold at rowing national championships in Burnaby

VIDEO: Two years in review with Cloverdale-Langley City MP

John Aldag sits down to talk about heritage, economics

‘I will now live in consistent fear’: Allan Schoenborn granted escorted leaves

The Merritt man was deemed not criminally responsible in the killing of his three children in 2008

Hammy the deer dodges conservation officers in Prince Rupert

The famous Prince Rupert hammock deer maintains his purple threads

‘No shirt, no service, no Canada’

Shirtless Tacoma man arrested after Canadian border officials say they found meth in rental vehicle

Nasty note on B.C. windshield sparks online outrage

Vernon’s Bailey McDonald is using a painful experience to start conversation about invisible illness

Delta-Richmond Operation Red Nose kicks off with call for volunteers

ORN uses volunteers to provide motorists who have been drinking a free ride home — in their own cars

Federal funding to combat guns, gangs and opioid crisis

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said illicit drugs are often main cause of guns, gangs violence

Riverview youth mental health centre proceeds

Replacement for Maples Treatment Centre first announced in March

Overnight lane closures at Highway 91 and 72nd Avenue

Left turn lanes off of the highway onto 72nd eastbound will be closed to install drainage culverts

Most Read