With so much happening right here in Langley this summer, close to home is where you want to be.
Better yet, there’s no need to fill up the tank or battle traffic to enjoy it!
“There’s just so much to see and do in the heart of Langley, no matter your age or your interests,” says Mayor Ted Schaffer, City of Langley. “Why would you go anywhere else?”
Here’s our top 10 pics:
1. Pop Up Play brings free, drop-in family sports, games, crafts and activities to Douglas Park (Tuesdays and Thursdays) and McBurney Plaza (Wednesdays and Fridays). Join the fun from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. through July and August.
2. Stick around for Lunch & Lounge, 12 to 2:30 p.m., featuring games, music and lounge chairs to enjoy your lunch!
3. Lace up for City Walks, an instructor-led walking program, with the pace set by group, meeting Thursdays from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at Douglas Park.
4. Ramp up your routine with Fresh Air Fitness, 12:15 to 1:15 p.m. Thursdays, exploring the outdoor fitness equipment in Douglas Park.
5. Summer Movies in the Park opens June 29 in Douglas Park with Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. Bring chairs or a blanket, enjoy activities beginning at 7:30 p.m. and the movie at 9:15 p.m. Bring snacks or visit the concession. Additional titles air July 6 (Dirty Dancing), Aug. 10 (Avengers Infinity War) and Sept. 14 (Ferdinand).
6. Say Hello Summer with a free family event at Douglas Park June 30. Award-winning children’s musician Will Stroet & the Backyard Band performs at 11:30 a.m., with a live show from Science World at 1:30 p.m. Games, crafts, facepainting and balloon twisters round out the fun..
7. The McBurney Plaza Summer Series features free, family-friendly entertainment July 7 and 28 from noon to 3 p.m. Two ticketed, 19+ evening performances are also planned – a July 14 Celtic Celebration and an Aug. 11 Country Music Night.
8. The annual Sounds of Summer concert series opens July 4 in McBurney Plaza. Each Wednesday features a different artist and genre of music, with performances from 7 to 8 p.m. Check back for this week’s featured performances!
9. Come to move or just enjoy the music during Dancing in the Park, 7 to 9 p.m. July 6 in Douglas Park Spirit Square. Stay on for a free movie in the park … Dirty Dancing of course!
10. Through Sept. 4, enter to win weekly prizes valued at up to $200 with Summer in the City giveaways. Enter at any Langley City event, then submit a second entry by posting a photo/selfie while at the event – tag @LangleyCity with #LCTHEPLACETOBE! Watch for the winners on Langley City’s social media platforms.