Dustin Favelle (left) is being praised for his 'heroic actions.' Favelle saw smoke and flames coming out of a house on 196 Street on Tuesday afternoon and kicked in the door to make sure no one was inside. The fire is believed to have been started by a discarded cigarette in some bark mulch. Nobody was home but the fire caused significant damages.

Discarded cigarette blamed in house fire

Township of Langley, Surrey firefighters joined forces to battle blaze which may have been sparked in tinder-dry bark mulch

A cigarette discarded in bark mulch is likely to blame for a house fire that has caused a young family to lose their home on Tuesday afternoon.

Around 4:30 p.m., Township and Surrey fire crews arrived to find flames shooting out the roof of the home, located at 7260 196 St.

Township assistant fire chief Pat Walker said the quick and “heroic actions” of a neighbour should be noted. Dustin Favelle, 26, was returning home from work when he saw the smoke. He quickly went over to the house, which was one street over. That’s when he saw the smoke and flames.

Seeing several pairs of shoes outside the home, Favelle began pounding on the door. When no one answered, he kicked it in.

Another passerby also helped, he said.

The home was filled with smoke, but he didn’t see anyone so he closed the door behind him and waited for fire crews to arrive. The house’s occupants, including at least two young kids, weren’t home at the time of the blaze.

“It was also good thinking to close the door behind him to prevent a backdraft,” said Walker.

Walker said following 38 days of dry weather, landscaping is tinder dry.

“The fire started in bark mulch in the neighbouring walkway. That fire led to the cedar trees beside the home which went up like match sticks,” said Walker. The amount of heat caused the home’s vinyl siding to ignite, with the flames reaching into the attic.

The northwest corner of the roof was burned off and there is significant water damage to the inside of the home.

The heat from the fire also melted the vinyl siding of a neighbouring home.

Provincial Disaster Assistance staff were there and provided the family with accommodation.

Walker said fire crews had been to that neighbourhood last week because of a bark mulch fire caused by a cigarette.

Because it is a compact neighbourhood, the situation could have been worse, he added. But because the neighbourhood sits on the border of Langley and Surrey, both fire departments were able to extinguish it quickly.

Files from Times reporter Gary Ahuja

Just Posted

Langley playing host to B.C.’s best high school wrestlers

A pair of champion women wrestlers share stories and experience with younger generation.

VIDEO: Winterhawks end Giants winning streak at seven

Playing on home ice in Langley, Vancouver’s G-Men fell 5-3 during a Family Day game against Portland.

Langley’s Tiffany Foster and Team Canada ride to fifth-place-finish in Palm Beach

Canadian show jumping team competes in $290,000 Longines FEI Jumping Nations Cup

VIDEO: Celebrating Family Day in the Langleys

Thousands attend child-friendly events

Residential fire reported in Aldergrove

Multiple units called to 2800 block area of 266A Street

Trudeau’s principal secretary, Gerald Butts, resigns amid SNC-Lavalin furor

Butts categorically denies the accusation that he or anyone else in the PMO improperly pressured former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould

Aaron Pritchett and George Canyon to headline Gone Country concert in Cloverdale this summer

‘Early bird tickets on sale via Twins Cancer Fundraising website

Lost a ring? This B.C. man will find it for you

Chris Turner founded The Ring Finders, an international directory of metal detector hobbyists

Poverty coalition has high hopes for B.C. poverty reduction strategy

Funding allocation expected to be released with 2019 budget

‘How did we get here?’: B.C. mom of transplant recipient worries about measles outbreaks

Addison, 7, cannot get a live vaccine because she has a heart transplant

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh calls for public inquiry over SNC-Lavalin questions

Vancouver member of Parliament Jody Wilson-Raybould resigned from cabinet last week

Canadian airlines waiting for guidance from Ottawa over X gender option

Major U.S. airlines said they will change their process so passengers can identify themselves along non-binary lines

UPDATE: Plane flips over at Pitt Meadows airport

The pilot and lone occupant exited the aircraft on his own and uninjured.

Moose Hide campaign takes message to Canadian schools

Campaign launches new K-12 education platform

Most Read