Residents at Langley City’s Paddington Station condo complex were rocked by an explosion Sunday night that left a man and woman badly burned and a toddler lucky to be unharmed.
Langley RCMP believe the explosion was likely caused by a mishap while using drugs.
“We found some drug paraphernalia inside the unit. The drugs were for private use, it wasn’t a meth lab,” said Langley RCMP Cpl. Holly Largy.
Langley City Fire Rescue was called to the condo complex at 5652 201A Ave. at around 10:30 p.m. When fire trucks arrived, many people in the large complex had already evacuated, after hearing the explosion.
“We were also met by two adults and a small child. The male was badly burned on his whole upper body and the female had inhalation burns around her mouth and nose,” said Langley City deputy fire chief Pete Methot.
The child was in another room at the time of the explosion so was unharmed. While the couple were rushed to hospital, the child was left with relatives, said Methot.
“The male was in a lot of pain. He has second degree burns to most of his upper body. He was taken to the burn unit at Vancouver General Hospital,” Methot said.
Police were called to the scene because they thought they were attending a fight that had been called in, with people screaming, he said.
“That was actually the two involved in the fire who were screaming, so there wasn’t any fight going on,” he noted.
The explosion came from the stove, Methot said. The blast came with such force it blew the oven door right off. It blew other items from the kitchen into the living room. There was a flash fire that climbed the stove and caught onto the above microwave and cupboards. The sprinklers were activated, which extinguished the fire.
“Seeing that there was no risk of fire at that point, we worked to quickly shut off the sprinkler system to minimize water damage to the units below. We were also mindful of the cold, so we got people back inside the building quickly,” Methot said.
Langley RCMP continue to investigate.