Lord Tweedsmuir Secondary School. (File photo)

Graffiti threatening Lord Tweedsmuir staff and students was ‘not a credible threat’

Surrey RCMP presence on school grounds ‘ironically’ made parents feel unsafe after graffiti threat

The Surrey School District offered reassurances of student safety on Thursday morning, following the discovery of graffiti on the grounds of Lord Tweedsmuir Secondary School (LTSS) that contained a threat to the well-being of staff and students.

On Wednesday afternoon, parents of LTSS students took to social media alleging that graffiti had been found on the school grounds threatened a shooting would occur at the school on Feb. 1.

Surrey School District Communications Services Manager Doug Strachan said that the school was made aware of the graffiti and promptly consulted with Surrey RCMP, Surrey Safe Schools and “threat assessment experts” before determining that the graffiti was not a credible threat.

On Thursday morning (Feb. 1), members of the RCMP were on the school property, which prompted a resurgence of fears for safety.

The presence of RCMP at the school this morning was designed to be “a reassurance,” said Strachan. “We knew that some of the community had seen [the graffiti] and were aware of it. We thought that a police presence would be a further signal that things were okay.”

Strachan noted that “ironically,” it had the opposite effect, as parents began to question why there was a police presence if there was no threat.

Strachan said that the information, including the details of what the graffiti threatened, was not shared with parents or the media as the school district did not wanted to cause “unwarranted fear.” Neither did the school administration wish to “reward the behaviour” by spotlighting it within the community.

Strachan emphasized that the Surrey School District would always communicate any potential threat to safety if it was warranted.

“Student and staff safety is our priority,” he said. “We would take decisive action if there was a real risk to safety.”



editor@cloverdalereporter.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Tardi earns first victory in quest for third national title

A Langley-based junior curling team is in Prince Albert, Sask. for the Canadian championships.

VIDEO: New homes for old dogs

Langley event has high number of senior dogs up for adoption

VIDEO: Giants wrap southern swing with 6-4 win in Spokane

The Langley-based hockey team defeated the Chiefs Friday night.

Charges upgraded against mother of murdered Langley girl

Kerryann Lewis now faces first- rather than second-degree murder in the death of Aaliyah Rosa.

WATCH: Farm Country Brewing in Langley City expected to open in summer

Farm Country Brewing is currently under construction and is planned to open in summer 2019.

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read