A group of workers are lucky to be alive following a carbon monoxide leak behind a Langley City Chapters Thursday afternoon.
The group was working behind the Chapters and Starbucks at 20015 Langley Bypass in an enclosed space with gas cutoffs, when the exhaust from the gas powered tools began leaking into the open back door of the Starbucks, setting off an alarm inside the coffee house, said Langley City Deputy Fire Chief Brian Godlonton.
“The firefighters took carbon monoxide readings and realized that they were at excessive levels. So they ventilated, identified the risks and ventilated the area and reset the alarms,” Godlonton said.
This was the second carbon monoxide incident City firefighters were called to on Thursday.
Earlier in the morning, a person pressure washing in a parkade found themselves in a similar situation.
There were no injuries in either incident.
“It is just a good reminder for people who are working in and around closed spaces with power tools to be mindful and cautious of carbon monoxide,” Godlonton said.
“It’s a colourless, odourless gas that displaces oxygen and you find yourself unconscious quite quickly.”
Unfortunately, these incidents happen more often than people think.
“In the wintertime, it’s when people are putting gas heaters in the house — we’re seeing lots of people die from that,” Godlonton said. “And in the summertime, it’s happening when people are power washing, or repairing lawn mowers in enclosed spaces, and so forth.”