Metro Vancouver Crime Stoppers received the most tips in its history

More than 5,000 tips led to 169 arrests and recovery of $9m in crime proceeds

Crime Stoppers Metro Vancouver had a banner year in 2017, resulting in more than 5,000 tips.

Metro Vancouver Crime Stoppers said 2017 was their most successful year with tips from the public leading to many arrests, charges and seizures of illegal drugs and guns.

Last year, Metro Vancouver Crime Stoppers received 5,597 tips resulting in 169 arrests and 269 charges.

It also resulted in the seizure of 60 firearms, the recovery of over $9.3 million in drugs and property.

“It was a very successful year. It’s nice to know it really works,” said Crime Stoppers executive director Linda Annis.

Crime Stoppers Society is a registered charitable group working with citizens, the media and law enforcement agencies to make communities safer. It formed in 1982 but the numbers grew so they became a society in 1994.

The board is made up of elected directors.

On top of listing Metro Van’s most wanted, and producing short broadcasts about unsolved crimes in B.C., the main function is to take in anonymous tips from the public.

Annis said the majority of tips, 70 per cent, come through their website bccrimestoppers.com and the remaining 30 per cent come by phone at 1-800-222-TIPS.

“We don’t track IP addresses, we don’t even have caller ID because the whole idea of our program is for people to stay anonymous,” she said. “Anonymity is really important to keep having the success that we are having.”

“Together with our partners, the citizens of our community, law enforcement and media, we are making a difference every day,” said Steve Elson, Crime Stoppers operations manager.

While Crime Stoppers does receive support from corporate sponsors and donations, they are always happy to receive public donations and can provide a tax receipt.

You can anonymously report crimes and criminals in your community by contacting Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or at solvecrime.ca.



monique@langleytimes.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

 

Just Posted

Where to find community holiday feasts in Langley

A variety of groups are hosting free meals for the Langley community to fill up on.

Looking for the buzz on Langley tree chipping events

Send us details on tree chipping events so we can help spread the word.

Surrey boy’s birthday wish raises $13,500 for rescued farm animals in Aldergrove

Matthew Farden received a large donation from the mister Blake Foundation towards a sanctuary farm.

Langley Mounties get new tool to find drunk drivers

New legislation take effect this week that will allow broader breathalyzer testing.

BCIHL Young Stars lose hard-fought hockey game to Kazakhstan at Langley Events Centre

Coach calls it ‘a great opportunity for those guys to have an international experience’

VIDEO: Ex-NASA engineer pranks mail thieves with glitter bomb trap

Package thefts are common this time of year, but YouTuber Mark Rober used his engineering skills

Lightning top Canucks 5-2 in feisty battle

NHL’s No. 1 team too much for Vancouver

Coquihalla closed between Hope and Merritt

The highway is closed in the northbound lane

FortisBC says you can return to normal gas use following pipeline fire

Utility says increased pipeline capacity, warmer weather have allowed supply to reach normal levels

CSIS collected info on peaceful groups, but only in pursuit of threats: watchdog

Security Intelligence Review Committee says fears unjustified after reviewing evidence, testimony

Lower Mainland man receives apology after getting kicked out of library

Mike Wilson fears the same treatment he received Nov. 2 by security guards will happen to others

Canada ranks 16th on annual gender gap list

This is the second year Canada has placed 16th in the World Economic Forum’s list

VIDEO: Tornado rips through city west of Seattle

Reports indicate five to seven homes damaged in Port Orchard, Wash.

Trial date postponed for man charged with killing Abbotsford police officer

Oscar Arfmann’s trial pushed back from January to May 2019

Most Read