A proposal to build a small boutique hotel in Fort Langley has been formally withdrawn. File image

UPDATE: No boutique hotel for Fort Langley

Builder formally withdraws application

An application to build a boutique hotel in Fort Langley has been officially withdrawn by builder Eric Woodward.

Woodward sent a letter to the Township of Langley on Jan. 10. advising he will not proceed with the application to build the hotel as part of a three-storey mix of residential and business space on a 1.39 acre site at Glover Road and Mary Avenue.

It has been almost two years since the proposal was unveiled, and about a year-and-a-half since the application was filed.

“We can’t get the development to council,” Woodward said.

Township planning and transportation staff are insisting on a lane that would run through the middle of the planned courtyard plaza and performance space and force its removal, Woodward said.

READ MORE: Fort Langley boutique hotel proposal hits a snag

The decision comes after Woodward formally withdrew applications for two other projects in Fort Langley, one for a small building – he advised the Township in November it would not be proceeding – and one for a larger project on the other side of Glover Road, where the formal letter was sent in December.

In both cases, Woodward said unreasonable demands for modifications were being made by Township staff.

READ MORE: Fort Langley builder and Township at odds over fate of century-old building

In an online posting announcing the withdrawal, Woodward said the combined value of the three projects was $65 million.

All of Woodward’s websites and Facebook pages regarding the projects have since been removed.

He said some of the buildings on the sites will have to be boarded up because they “are already well past their reasonable lives (and) without any prospect of eventual replacement, there is now little basis left to continue subsidizing most of these older buildings on Glover Road that require new roofs, new mechanical, new electrical, new plumbing, and have numerous structural and drainage problems.”

Some buildings “will remain open, and we will maintain them as best we can, for as long as possible,” he said.

Last year, Woodward had a house on the Mary Avenue site painted bright pink to bring attention to his standoff with the Township of Langley over its demolition.

The Township, he said, was refusing to issue a permit for the demolition of the house and several other soon-to-be vacated buildings on the 1.39 acre site at Glover Road and Mary Avenue unless he met several conditions that he considered unreasonable.

READ MORE: Pink house painted grey in Fort Langley

Reached for comment, Township mayor Jack Froese said withdrawing the development proposals was a “business decision” by Woodward.

“Hopefully, at some point he wants to develop it and work with the Township and we’re happy to work with him,” Froese said.

Woodward told the Times he has no plans to sell the properties and expects it will be “at least five to 10 years” before he tries again to develop them.

“Until the climate is significantly different, there’s no basis to proceed,” Woodward said.

The current council, he said, could intervene with staff to resolve the impasse, but hasn’t.

“They (council) all know about and it they do nothing,” Woodward said.

“They endorse it with their silence.”



dan.ferguson@langleytimes.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Statewood Properties Jan. 18 by Miranda Gathercole on Scribd

Just Posted

VIDEO: Kids team up with Langley realtor to build holiday “homes”

Realtor Matthew Rufh hosted a gingerbread house-building party for the Langley Boys and Girls Club.

Langley hockey player heads to NHL prospects camp

The young player is following in the footsteps of former Giant Ty Ronning.

Metro Vancouver mayors vote to ‘develop’ $1.65B in Fraser Highway SkyTrain plans

Surrey will have to ‘compensate’ for the $56 million already spent on light rail

Langley Rams receiver inks with BC Lions

Jevon Cottoy joined the Rams this season and now has a multi-year contract with the Lions.

UPDATE: Heavy rainfall, strong winds in forecast for Lower Mainland

Heavy rains, snow expected till Friday morning

Omar Khadr wants changes to bail conditions

‘My life is held in suspension’, says the former Guantanamo Bay detainee

Sissons scores OT winner as Predators beat Canucks 4-3

VIDEO: Vancouver battles back to earn single point in Nashville

Lions announce seven members of coaching staff not coming back for 2019

The operational moves come two days after the Lions announced DeVone Claybrooks as the team’s new head coach

Christmas fun at Aldergrove Library: VIDEO & PHOTOS

Youngsters enjoyed decorating a Christmas tree with their homemade craft decorations

$12K awarded to atheist family who oppose Christmas, Hanukkah in B.C. classroom

Gary Mangel,May Yasue said holidays, Remembrance Day and Valentine’s Day not appropriate in preschool

Kodiaks avenge themselves against Pilots: ACTION PHOTOS

Aldergrove and Abbotsford Junior B hockey teams tie game at 5-5

Coach accused of sexual assault says apology letter was misinterpreted

Dave Brubaker has pleaded not guilty to one count of sexual assault and one count of invitation to sexual touching

Give the gift of nature this holiday season

Please don’t be mad, but I bought you a moose

Aboriginal poet faces backlash for calling out NHL-themed totem poles

Rebecca Thomas says she received backlash for asking a drugstore chain to remove NHL merchandise

Most Read