Thrift for Kids Thrift Shop is one of 18 second-hand stores in the municipality.

Put a cap on thrift shops in downtown Langley, says business association

With 16 second-hand stores in the downtown core, some are saying enough is enough

Like an overplayed Macklemore song, the Downtown Langley Business Association says it has too much of a good thing and wants the City to put a cap on the number of thrift shops.

A letter from the organization’s executive director, Teri James, was received by council on Monday.

Related story: Langley City: the place to thrift

“We recognize that there is a place for thrift stores in every community, but like everything else, if there are too many, this is cause for concern with respect to public perception, and for those anchor businesses that don’t necessarily want their business located in what is fast becoming known as a ‘thrift store downtown,'” the letter reads.

There are currently 16 stores in the downtown that fall under the same category as thrift stores  (including second-hand furniture stores, pawn shops and Value Village).

The letter also raises concerns about donation bins found around town.

James said she wants to see an all-out ban the bins because they attract garbage around them.

She believes that 90 per cent of people use the bins to donate gently used goods for good causes but the remaining 10 per cent ruin them for everyone

“[They] drop off their mattresses and their broken barbecue and all the rest of it because it seems like a convenient place to drop it,” said James.

Diane Thornton, the president of the Langley Memorial Hospital Auxiliary, said Penny Pincher Thrift Shop is among her organization’s top five donors and she anticipates it contributing $500,000 to the hospital this year.

“I think [thrift shops] are saturating the market, but who am I to say there’s too many?” she said, adding that she feels most of the shops support good causes.

Gerald Minchuk, the City’s director of development services and economic development, said he and other staff would be looking at the issue, now that they have received James’s letter. He said a number of options could be brought to council for approval but stressed the need for consideration and that the letter had only just been received.

Just Posted

Puff, puff, pass: Cannabis is officially legal across Canada

B.C. has only one bricks-and-mortar marijuana store

New bus route to ‘replace’ Greyhound along Trans-Canada Highway

Rider Express Transportation says they will soon begin a bus service from Winnipeg to Vancouver

Where to find Langley election results

Times reports as ballots are tallied Saturday

VIDEO: North Langley Kodiaks shut out North Surrey Bears

Defensive battle Saturday ends in Langley’s favour

A campaign to give municipalities more say over marijuana advertising

Langley Township wants to avoid a Washington-State-style flood of advertising

VIDEO: How to roll a joint

The cannabis connoisseur shares his secrets to rolling the perfect joint

Hero campaign raises $1.1 million for B.C. non-profits

Lowe’s Canada Heroes campaign was held throughout September

Scope of Hurricane Michael’s fury becomes clearer in Florida Panhandle

Nearly 137,000 Florida customers remain without power from the Gulf of Mexico to the Georgia border

Streamlined pardon process for pot possession convictions in Canada

Feds say legalization is first step towards objectives of getting pot out of the hands of kids and eliminating black market

Boeser tallies in OT as Canucks beat Penguins 3-2

Vancouver wins without star rookie Pettersson

U.S. pot firm urges Trump to deny Canadian producers ‘competitive advantage’

The challenge for U.S. firms lies in the fact that while recreational cannabis is legal in nine states and medicinal pot in 22 others, it remains illegal under federal law

Mayor of Kamloops says ‘history has been made’ with vote on B.C.’s lone pot shop

The store to be run by the province in B.C.’s Interior is opening Wednesday as pot sales become legal across Canada

Government says imprisoned Canadian terror suspects must face consequences

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale showed little sympathy Tuesday for such individuals who now want to return to Canada

How rules for inmate segregation in Canada will change under Bill C-83

Federal government proposing changes to rules around inmates in federal correctional institutions

Most Read