Trio to stand trial for murder of Langley teen

Nicholas Hannon's body was recovered from a heavily wooded area near Mission last September. He had been missing since February 2014.

Nicholas Hannon, a 19-year-old Langley man, disappeared in February 2014. In September 2015, his body was recovered from a wooded area near Mission and three young men were charged with his murder. This week all three were ordered to stand trial.

Three young men have been ordered to stand trial in the murder of 19-year-old Nicholas Hannon of Walnut Grove.

Connor Angus Campbell, 21, Bradley Michael Flaherty, 20, and Keith William Tankard, 20, were arrested September 2015 and charged with first-degree murder. They have been in custody since their arrest.

A preliminary inquiry was held last week in Surrey Provincial Court, where a judge ordered the trio to stand trial.

They are scheduled to appear next in Supreme Court in New Westminster on July 28 to set a date.

Hannon was last seen by his younger brother at their Walnut Grove home on the evening of Feb. 26, 2014.

The next day, his abandoned vehicle was found in the 10400 block of McKinnon Crescent, at Derby Reach Park.

At the time, RCMP called his disappearance suspicious and Hannon’s family offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to his safe return.

Despite his father Craig’s emotional public pleas to bring his son home, as well as hiring a private searcher with blood hounds, Hannon’s disappearance remained a mystery for more than a year and half.

Following the September long weekend last year, the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team called a press conference to announce they had made three arrests and recovered Hannon’s body.

IHIT Sgt. Jennifer Pound said the body of the missing teen was discovered in a heavily wooded area near Mission. Police were able to recover his body after the three men were arrested.

Sgt. Pound said the three accused were friends of Hannon.

Investigators believe Hannon died as a result of a conflict that “turned violent, and ultimately deadly,” Pound said at the time.

Craig Hannon said the three accused had been welcomed into the family home on many occasions.

“We are devastated and we feel betrayed.”

“Three young men who were welcomed in our home on many, many occasions have been charged to the highest degree with taking the life of a wonderful brother, a loving uncle and an incredible son,” he said.

One of the accused, Campbell, gained further media attention after it was learned that both his parents are members of the RCMP.

Campbell’s mother is former Cpl. Catherine Galliford, who was the RCMP spokesperson during several high-profile cases, including the Robert Pickton investigation and Air India. She sued the RCMP for sexual and workplace harassment. In May, she accepted a settlement from the RCMP. The accused’s father is a high-ranking Sgt. Major with the RCMP.

Just Posted

Mobile complaint clinic coming to Langley Feb. 9

The B.C. Ombudsperson is touring cities, taking complaints against the provincial government

Rash of break-ins overnight in Langley

Five businesses hit in one hour

‘Restless night’ for Semiahmoo First Nation after tsunami warning

Alaska earthquake puts Semiahmoo First Nation on notice

TransLink reveals universal fare gates for transit users with disabilities

Gates are opened and closed automatically using a radio-frequency identification card

Eleven straight for streaking Spartans

Trinity Western men’s hockey team wins pair of home games at Langley Events Centre

UPDATE: ‘Fairy Godmother’ needs help to make prom night special for Langley grads

Charity collects donated dresses, suits, and accessories for grads who can’t afford them

Homeless evicted from First Nation reserve land say they have nowhere to go

‘Why not just let us stay until spring?’ one camper at Chilliwack site pleads

Otter Co-op maintains pledge of ‘Integrity’

Aldergrove-based co-operative has thrived for the past 95 years with commitment to ‘Community’

Andrew Scheer on trade, Trump and Trudeau

Canada’s Conservative leader begins three-day visit to B.C.

Victims restrained, sex toys and cash stolen from B.C. adult store

Armed suspects sought in adult store robbery

UPDATED: 10 Safeways in Lower Mainland to close

Locations in Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Coquitlam, Richmond and Mission slated to shut

Vancouver Islanders ponder need for tsunami siren song

Alarm sounds in Port Alberni but not at the DND base in Esquimalt

Five charged in bid to shut pop-up pot market in Vancouver’s Robson Square

Marijuana flower, edibles, money and some weapons were seized as part of weekend raid

Protect your home and save: New sensor stops flooding in its tracks

BC-made system offers solution to damaging leaks from water tanks, dishwashers and more

Most Read