A pot of cooking oil ignited a blaze that destroyed a townhouse at 5210 203 St. on Thursday afternoon.
Just before 1 p.m. on May 23 residents were heating a pot of oil on the stove. They left the room briefly, and when they came back the pot was on fire.
The residents turned the stove off and left the townhome looking for help, but by the time they returned the fire had spread to the kitchen cupboards and the rest of the room.
Once Langley City fire crews arrived, the fire had engulfed the main living area and had broken through the windows in the front and back of the house.
Fire crews were able to contain the blaze within about 25 minutes, preventing it from spreading to adjoining townhomes in the multi-unit housing complex.
There was substantial damage to the townhouse where the blaze started, and smoke damage in neighbouring suites.
There were no reports of serious injuries.
– with files from Dan Ferguson