Update: a previous version of this story incorrectly stated that the individual was rescued using a boom that was already on-site, which was not the case. It has been corrected.
Work was temporarily suspended as one crew member was left up in the air during a TV show shoot in Langley Thursday night.
Around 10:45 p.m., the Township of Langley fire department got a call about a boom lift in the 24000 block of Fraser Highway that had stopped working, leaving its operator stuck about 100 feet in the air.
“There was a malfunction in the electrical panel — a bit of an arc or a spark or something,” said assistant fire chief Pat Walker.
According to Kevin Bennet, a mechanic with Sunbelt Rentals, who rented the boom to the TV crew, wiring running up the boom for lights short-circuited, damaging its electronics and hydraulics system. He said the production company is liable for for the damages.
When the fire department’s truck arrived, it became clear that its 70-foot ladder wasn’t going to be able to reach the worker.
The rescue was eventually made using another lift that was rushed out to the site and operated by Bennet, who said about and hour and a half had passed from Sunbelt getting a call, to the worker being brought back to the ground.