UPDATE: Gabriel Klein makes first appearance in Abbotsford court

Man accused in double stabbing appears via video after failing to leave jail cell on two prior occasions

Gabriel Klein was scheduled to make his first court appearance on Monday but refused to leave his jail cell.

The man accused of the double stabbing last week at Abbotsford Senior Secondary made his first appearance, via video conference, in Abbotsford provincial court today after two previous attempts had failed.

Gabriel Klein initially refused to come out of his jail cell for his 11 a.m. appearance today. A sheriff appeared on camera from the Surrey Pretrial Centre, saying that Klein was not co-operating with requests to come to the video room.

The judge agreed with the Crown’s request that Klein appear in person tomorrow at the Abbotsford courthouse, even if sheriffs had to physically remove him from his cell. The appearance had been set for 9:30 a.m.

But after many of the media had left today, Klein made an unexpected appearance by video just before noon. He refused to say anything and had his next court date scheduled for Wednesday in Surrey.

Klein, 21, also refused to leave his cell last Wednesday, when he was scheduled to make his first appearance, which was adjourned until today.

“The Crown is concerned that this is essentially an intentional action on the part of Mr. Klein to avoid engaging in the process,” Crown lawyer Rob Macgowan told the judge.

He said that Klein has twice been taken to hospital since his arrest last Tuesday and has both times been declared “non-certifiable,” meaning he did not meet the requirements under the Mental Health Act to be retained in hospital.

Macgowan said Klein has also refused to speak with lawyers.

Klein has been charged with the second-degree murder of Letisha Reimer, 13, and the aggravated assault of her 14-year-old friend (who can’t be named due to a publication ban).

The two girls were stabbed last Tuesday while they were in the rotunda of Abbotsford Senior Secondary. They were both airlifted to hospital, but Reimer did not survive.

Just Posted

VIDEO: Koch’s OT winner sends Giants to sixth straight victory

Three games, three cities, three victories for the Langley-based hockey G-Men.

VIDEO: New homes for old dogs

Langley event has high number of senior dogs up for adoption

Tardi earns first victory in quest for third national title

A Langley-based junior curling team is in Prince Albert, Sask. for the Canadian championships.

VIDEO: Giants wrap southern swing with 6-4 win in Spokane

The Langley-based hockey team defeated the Chiefs Friday night.

Charges upgraded against mother of murdered Langley girl

Kerryann Lewis now faces first- rather than second-degree murder in the death of Aaliyah Rosa.

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read