A large bark mulch fire at Langley’s Cloverdale Fuel, a wood recycling and by-products company continued to burn Wednesday morning, more than two days after it began.
Crews first arrived on scene around 10 p.m. Monday night, at 20489 102B Ave. to find the pile, approximately 600 feet long by 200 feet wide and 50 feet high, was burning, sending flames high into the sky.
A second alarm was called, bringing in additional firefighters to the scene.
In all, five Langley Township vehicles and about 30 firefighters were called to battle the stubborn fire.
No serious injuries were reported.
Excavation equipment was called in to dig a trench to separate the smouldering mulch from unburned material.
Deputy Langley fire chief Bruce Ferguson said initial indications suggest the cause of the fire was spontaneous combustion, the result of the material sitting there for about three months during some especially hot weather.