Detector dog Fenix looks to Border Services Officer Matt Baird following a press conference Tuesday morning in which CBSA officials shared details of weapons the team found in a northbound vehicle in late March. (Tracy Holmes photo)

Weapons seized at South Surrey border

CBSA officials say Canadian resident living in U.S. charged with 27 smuggling and firearms counts

Canada Border Services Agency officials announced today that a Canadian man living in the U.S. was arrested after nearly two dozen handguns were found in a northbound vehicle.

The “significant weapon seizure” – which took place at the Pacific Highway border – occurred March 23.

Details were not shared until Tuesday morning, during a media briefing held at the Douglas (Peace Arch) port.

Daniela Evans, director of CBSA’s Pacific Highway District, and Harald Wuigk, assistant director of the region’s criminal investigations section, told reporters the find – 19 handguns and 32 over-capacity magazines – was made by a detector-dog team during a secondary examination of a passenger vehicle.

Four-year-old Fenix alerted Border Services Officer Matt Baird to one handgun behind the factory panelling of the vehicle. Further examination located a total of 19 handguns and 32 over-capacity magazines, Evans said.

“These guns were not just seized, they were prevented from winding up in our communities,” Evans said. “These dangerous weapons will not be used to cause harm to any Canadian.”

The traveller was arrested, and both the vehicle and cache of guns and magazines were seized.

In response to questions, Evans and Wuigk would not disclose the arrested traveller’s age, hometown, where in the U.S. he had been living or where he’d told border officers he was heading. They did say he was released from custody on a $50,000 surety.

According to online court records, the accused was born in 1971.

Asked why the CBSA waited more than six weeks to announce the seizure, Evans said it was due to ongoing investigation.

“We think this is a fantastic outcome,” she said.

In 2017, 738 firearms seizures were made across Canada. At borders stretching from Abbotsford/Huntingdon to Boundary Bay, 132 firearms were seized last year, Evans said.

She confirmed no one else is facing charges in connection with the March 23 seizure.

Scott MacCallum Osborne is next due to appear in Surrey Provincial Court on Feb. 14, 2019, in connection with 27 charges related to the smuggling, illegal importation and possession of firearms.

 

Weapons haul displayed Tuesday morning. (Tracy Holmes photo)

Detector dog Fenix pokes his head up over the table of weapons on display at the Canada Border Services Agency Douglas port Tuesday morning. (Tracy Holmes photo)

Just Posted

Langley player to compete in first NCAA basketball tournament in Canada

Former Brookswood star Louise Forsyth to play in Vancouver Showcase

VIDEO: Scouts in Langley learn how to communicate during emergencies

Weekend event at Camp McLean part of worldwide Jamboree On The Air and Jamboree On The Internet

Halloween on horseback

Langley riders club celebrates the season

ELECTION 18: Langley Township, you chose Jack Froese for mayor

Township voters went with a familiar face, handing incumbent a third term as mayor

Giants busy on ice in Langley and on the road

A teen goalie helps the squad during a glut of games.

Canada Post strikes leaves small shops in the lurch as holidays approach: CFIB

Rotating strikes began in Victoria, Edmonton, Halifax and Windsor

Voter turnout at 36% in B.C.’s municipal election

Vancouver saw 39% turnout, Surrey saw 33%

Harry and Meghan travel in different style on Australia tour

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan are on day seven of their 16-day tour of Australia and the South Pacific.

AP Exclusive: Stephen Hawking’s wheelchair, thesis for sale

The online auction features 22 items from Hawking, including his doctoral thesis on the origins of the universe, with the sale scheduled for 31 October and 8 November.

In Khashoggi case: Saudi calls, ‘body double’ after killing

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman called the son of Jamal Khashoggi, the kingdom announced early Monday, to express condolences for the death of the journalist killed at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul by officials that allegedly included a member of the royal’s entourage.

Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur waives right to preliminary hearing

Bruce McArthur, a 67-year-old self-employed landscaper, has been ordered to stand trial on eight counts of first-degree murder.

N.B. village faces backlash after council raises ‘straight flag’

Chipman Mayor Carson Atkinson says the flag met the village council’s criteria because it “recognizes, accepts and respects the rights of individuals under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.”

Most Read